Meaning of Metabolism - We can say that metabolism is all and everything the body does to keep our body beings alive, and that includes the proper function of the organs, reparation of the cells, the digestion of food and breathing.
Metabolism rate determine by: Age, gender, or even weight. In other sides, this set of biochemical reactions is linked closely with nutrition, such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, etc. We can say that proper nutrition is responsible for healthy metabolism in a large scale. The complete nutrition facts can be found here.
What Is Metabolism?
The cells and the organism have chemical reactions to keep themselves a live and that the main meaning of Metabolism. Metabolism is broken down into two categories here.
- Anabolism. This is when all of the compounds needed by the cells of the body are synthesized for optimal use.
- Catabolism. This is simply the process of breaking down molecules for energy.
The Determines of Metabolism
1. Weight - Weight has a surprising factor. It is a fact that people who are of large stature and have more muscle mass will actually burn more calories than thinner people. This is because it simply takes more energy for them to move.
2. Gender - Gender is a factor here. Men have much more muscle mass than women do and will burn more calories faster. Women have a harder time. After the child bearing years start to decline there is a marked downgrade in metabolism and the “baby fat” tends to stay on.
3. Age - One of the biggest factors to metabolism is age. As we age it is hard to drive metabolism up to the speed it used to be. Our metabolism decreases 5% each decade after we turn 40. This is because we tend to lose muscle mass at that time.
4. Heredity - Heredity is a big factor in metabolic rate. You can look at your parents and grandparents and determine what your lean will be.
The truth about Relation Between Metabolism and Nutrients? DNA and RNA are our main source of nucleic acids and without nutrition we could not break down nutrients like DNA and RNA. Nutrition is the key to metabolism. Nutrients in relation to metabolism encompass bodily requirement for various substances, individual functions in body, amount needed, level below which poor health results etc.
Food is very important to our body because it’s provides us with a variety of substances that are essential for the building, upkeep, and repair of body tissues, and for the efficient functioning of the body.
5. Metabolism and Vitamins, Minerals - You can “Should” support your body functions with Minerals. Metabolic processes effect by food that are not main source for energy, but this foods contain The Minerals. The body is deficient with some top minerals. These are considered to be essential minerals. Essential minerals are:
- Chloride ions
6. Metabolism and Fats - The proteins or carbohydrates produces energy but Fat produces double the energy that they can do. The healthy fats we need to metabolize for the aforementioned functions are unsaturated fats such as arachidonic and linoleic fats. It helps to produce cell structure, it protects the vital organs with a cushion, the fat soluble vitamins we take are absorbed through fats and fat will create storage for energy when we need it.
7. Metabolism and Proteins - When you need to build Muscle and tissues, all what you need are Proteins. Proteins are the main tissue builders of each cell in the human body.
It is a life giving substance by which hemoglobin is formed. This is just as important as blood. Proteins help cells carry oxygen into the blood stream as well as DNA and nitrogen. Proteins are necessary for nutrition because they contain amino acids. Among the 20 or more amino acids, the human body is unable to synthesize 8 and these are called essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are:
8. Metabolism and Carbohydrates - Carbohydrates are the energy powerhouses in the body. Foods supply carbohydrates in three forms: starch, sugar, and cellulose “fiber”. Our metabolism will break down these nutrients and supply what we need for the day. People generally consume around half of their diet as carbohydrates. People consumed from foods such as rice, wheat, bread, potatoes, pasta, macaroni etc. Glucose is the main source of energy which is formed from metabolized starches and sugars combined. This takes place post-digestion.
The overall reaction for the combustion of glucose is written as:
C6H12O6 + 6 O2 —-> 6 CO2 + 6 H2O + energy
Ideas to Increase Metabolism
- Drink Green Tea and Coffee - Drink coffee daily in the morning upon awakening and throughout the day. You can burns fat around the mid-section and boosts metabolism by drink Green tea.
- Vitamin D - Studies show that people with low vitamin D levels tend to gain more weight more rapidly and keep it on.
- Eat Right Foods - Eat protein and iron rich foods. Chilies can reduce belly fat and boost metabolism with capsicum containing foods like peppers.
- Eat Regularly - The reason you should eat regularly, is it will also maintain a high metabolism and your blood sugar will remain stabilized. “preferably small meals throughout the day”
- Exercise - Exercising is the number one way to boost metabolism apart from good eating. Walking, swimming or any other aerobic exercise is best.